Friday, April 24, 2009

Drink Your Tap Water

Image from National Geographic

While I continue to wait for resources to come to the library about HFCS, here's something to think about. (You know, I keep tackling subjects thinking,"Oh this won't take long." Then I get sucked in and can't stop adding info. Let me know if you enjoy this because sometimes I wonder if I should spend my time this way...)

Some things to think about:

*In 2008, sales of bottled water in the U.S. reached 8.6 billions gallons, 28.6% of the liquid refreshment sales. The only drink that outsold water was carbonated beverages (Which is scarier, the number of people buying a resource readily available at home or the number of people drinking soda?).
*1.5 millions gallons of oil are used to make plastic bottles for bottled water in a year. And of course, there is all that oil used to transport the bottled water.
*Nationwide, only about 10% of plastic water bottles are recycled. That plastic bottle could take up to a 1000 years in a landfill to decompose or maybe as little as 400 years!.
*An 8-12 fl. oz. bottle of water can cost between $.50-$2.00. Of course, sometimes that same water will cost $3.00 at the ball park. Water from your tap costs about $0.1 per gallon (125 fl. oz. in a gallon). And if you buy Brita's top of the line filter for your kitchen faucet, a gallon costs about $0.18.
*While the FDA regulates both tap water and bottled water. You can't be certain that your bottled water is any safer than your tap water. In most cases, the purity of tap water vs. bottled water is similar. Some bottled water like Dansani and Aquafina come straight from municipal sources. Some bottled water come from springs that have more bacteria in it than your tap water. The source of the water and any treatments it undergoes has to be listed on the label of the bottle. Do your homework if you buy bottled water for purity.
* Across the board, everyone admits the tap water in the United States is safe. The taste may vary from place to place, but the minerals that cause the taste variations are not harmful ones. There is segment of the population with severely compromised immune systems and some children with special needs who are sensitive to even the small amounts of metals and mineral deposits in our tap water. These people shouldn't drink the tap water, but for most people, our tap water is perfect and cheap.
* Since the explosion of the bottled water industry, federal spending on our public water systems has declined more than 50% (we know this here as our water rates are going up 40% to support necessary upkeep to the water treatment plant). Organizations like the Sierra Club, the World Wildlife Foundation, and the Natural Resources Defense Council all urge their supporters to drink less bottled water. There are even some religious organizations, such as United Church of Canada, National Coalition of American Nuns and Presbyterians for Restoring Creation that consider the repackaging of a basic resource unethical and have taken a stand on the issue.
* To be fair, many bottled water companies, including Aquafina and Dasani, have responded to the environmental concern by creating bottles that use less plastic than they were originally created. Better. But still unconvincing. There is a Colorado-based water bottler called BIOTA that uses a bio-degradable bottle made from corn. Given the right conditions it decomposes in 75-80 days.

By all accounts, from the FDA to the EPA to nonprofits alike, tap water in this country is safe and healthy. The standards for tap water are almost equal to those for bottled water (some sources say the standards for tap water are more stringent, but I did find one FDA site that admitted tap water is allowed a slightly higher level of led, still safe, but higher, than bottled water because of all those old pipes). If you are still concerned about some of the metals and minerals that remain in tap water (check your water quality at the EPA's safe water site , the best thing to do is buy a good filter system for your kitchen.
And if you buy bottled water for convenience, invest instead in several stainless steel water bottles and keep them filled with tap water. (Should I do a post on why stainless is the best water bottle, or do you already know?)

What to do? Stop buying bottled water. If you want, you could go to the Food and Water Watch website. Read their list of facts about bottled water and then sign their take back the tap pledge with your kids. Or you could join me in adding the book Blue Covenant by Maude Barlow to your summer reading list. Its a book about how water has been an imperiled resource and about the devastation caused by privatization of water rights. I know that living in a state surrounded by huge freshwater lakes makes water rights into a hard-to-comprehend topic. But my 2.5 years in Montana taught me that water is an enormous issue as fights about water between the city, the ranchers, and the wealthy hiding in the mountains broke out every week. It's an issue worth learning about.

sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_water, "Is Bottled Water Better?" from the nonprofit Union of Concerned citizens website, Saginaw News, www.dansani.com, www.aquafina.com ,http://www.united-church.ca/beliefs/policies,http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/402_h2o.html/2006/w143,http://www.epa.gov/safewater/faq/faq.html, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0224_060224_bottled_water_2.html

6 comments:

  1. www.tapdny.com
    I saw this on g.m.a. A ny'er is bottling tap water and selling it! and he is making money go figure. No I don't know about stainless steel?!? I like my water purified thru osmosis. We have a britta filter at the tap. I can tell the difference in the taste of the water between the kitchen and the bathroom sink. I don't know why but it seems really nasty tasting in the bathroom. When we redid the pipes in the basement I was completely grossed out over the sediment in the pipes thru which I was drinking water! I do drink from the hose though. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - this is interesting. I too do not know why stainless steel. My concern with that is that it would get gross inside and I wouldn't realize it (that happened once with a thick canteen I had). So, question 1, why stainless steel? And, question 2, I have a friend who doesn't drink tap water b/c of the fluoride in it. Did you see anything about that in your research?

    Finally, comment, I do like you doing these research posts. I know it's a lot of time but I like someone I trust looking into these things. I've started cooking a LOT more beans since your post on them and even started grinding my flax seed for my use (the kids don't like it ground so they just eat whole flax - they might not be getting all the omega-3, but I figure it can't hurt).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post something about stainless steel water bottles after I finish the HFCS thing. As for the taste of your tap water Amanda, I'm sure it does taste better from your kitchen as tap water still has stuff in it! What I hoped people recognize is that bottled water might not be better than tap and that as a country we have very safe tap water. Bottled water is a waste of resources in most cases here. And Beth, so good to know you are out there. I always wonder what you are up to. I did read about Fluoride but it only said the lack of fluoride in bottled water might be contributing to dental issues(I've heard people don't like the fluoride in tap water but I don't know why...maybe another post A whole series of posts about water!). I know there are reasons not to drink tap water. For example, my friend with an autistic son won't use tap water because the minimal metals present worsen his condition. Regardless, certainly there are better options than buying bottled water every week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean the same tap water from the kitchen smells better than the same tap water from the bathroom. I can smell sulfur or something in the bathroom tap water. Yeah its the junk in it. But, why the smell in the bathroom and not at the kitchen sink. Really you'll have to come over and smell it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information, Laura. I appreciate you sharing the facts that you have learned and for encouraging us to respond in ways that help us care for our families as well as be better stewards of our resources, including creation. I would be very interested to read an article about why stainless steel makes the best water bottles. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amy. Actually I had forgotten about the stainless steal article. I'll try to get on it soon.

    ReplyDelete