Saturday, February 14, 2009

Flax


Flax is a word I wish would pop up quickly in my mind in a game of Scrabble A field of flax is looks beautiful and the US is the forth largest flax grower in the the world. Canada is number one. If Canada can grow flax, maybe we can in Michigan too? But alas, my gardening plans are already too full.
Flax is another seed, like quinoa, and it has a bit of a story. It seems that hundreds of years ago, the average earth dweller had a much greater variety of grains and seeds in their diet. And then many fell into disuse, thanks to the ease of wheat. I wonder, could the excess of wheat be the cause of so much sensitivity to wheat?
But I digress. Flax. Omega 3 fatty acid. You've probably heard the words together and heard the hype. But do you have any idea what an omega 3 fatty acid is? Do you know how to use flax?

Here's what Web MD says about Omega 3's and it's dizzying list of potential benefits, "It's the omega 3s -- 'good' fats -- that researchers are looking at in terms of their possible effects on lowering cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, lowering the risk of breast, prostate, and colon cancers, and reducing the inflammation of arthritis, as well as the inflammation that accompanies certain illnesses such as Parkinson's disease and asthma." Omega 3s have also been said to help prevent macular degeneration, improve skin and hair, increase immunity and aid recovery from depression.

Our bodies can't make Omega 3s which is why we must consume it in food form. However, the best source of Omega 3s is animal fat, not plant sources because the Omega 3s in flax oil have to be converted into DHA and EPA. If the conversion doesn't happen, which can be true of the elderly or the unhealthy, the Omega 3s do not get used. For this reason, the best source of Omega 3 is fish oil, but only high quality, pure, non-contaminated fish oil. Carlson's make some great tasting fish oils that even my kids like; my uber picky nutritionist and chinese herbalist in Montana even approved of Carlson's.

So why not skip the flax and just drink fish oil? Well, you can't bake with fish oil, but more on that later. Flax also has high fiber and lignans, a phytonutrient. According to Dr. Sears, " Lignans have received a lot of attention lately because of possible anti-cancer properties, especially in relation to breast and colon cancer. Lignans seem to flush excess estrogen out of the body, thereby reducing the incidence of estrogen-linked cancers, such as breast cancer. Besides anti-tumor properties, lignans also seem to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. " The estrogen flushing lignans may also help with menopause. Flax has a hundred times more lignans than any other grain. )

Flax may also help increase metabolism, and it's healthy fats boost brain power. And flax has protein, pound for pound almost as much protein as chicken or beef. Flax protein is high quality protein too. And for this diabetic, any way of adding protein to baked goods deserves mention.

Here's the catch though. Flax oil isn't cheap and it has a short shelf life. You have to keep it in the refrigerator and keep track of the use by date. So don't buy huge bottles unless you know you will use it. Whole flax seeds are the cheapest form of flax, but they will pass through your body unused unless you grind them (in a coffee grinder). Keep ground seeds in the fridge. You can buy vacuum packed seeds whole and they will last unrefrigerated for 10-12 months. Ground seeds will last unrefrigerated for up to 4 months. And don't buy that flax seed bread thinking you are getting a serving of flax unless you know the seeds are ground.

Now how to use the flax? As you might suspect, flax seed oil has a higher concentration of flax's beneficial nutritients than the seeds. Still, the ground seeds have the greatest variety of uses as they are easy to add to baked goods. Add the oil or ground seeds to smoothies or yogurt. In fact, one study suggests flax oil added to yogurt helps the fatty acids get incorporated in cell membranes. I like to add ground flax seeds to muffins and pancakes, even cake. Mix the oil or the ground seeds into salad dressings or meatballs. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.

And for my allergy plagued friends, you can replace eggs in baking with 1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water mixed together. Such a replacement sometimes alters a recipe's texture, so experimentation will be necessary.

There is no set recommendation for flax seed consumption, but most nutritionist recommend 1-2 tbsp of ground flax seed or 1 tbsp of flax seed oil per day. One blogger I read likes to mix her ground seeds with honey and then spread it on toast.

So after all that research, I am inspired. Especially after seeing a study from the University of Toronto where flax seed reduced blood sugars up to 28% one hour after a meal. I just ordered a bunch of Bob's Red Mill Ground Flax Seed from my food coop. I did discover a general disagreement about the nutritional value of golden vs. brown flax seed. The consensus seems to be that golden flax is superior to brown in flavor. And that both are equally good if you purchase high quality seed. Now, how do we, as uninformed shoppers who desire health, find high quality seed. I always trust Bob's Red Mill and one site said the seeds should be slightly shiny and have a nutty flavor that crunches in your mouth and then turns gummy. But I don't usually taste pre-packaged things in the store so unless your flax source is bulk bins....good luck.
Let me know if try try flax or if you already have some great use for it.


3 comments:

  1. I have some flax questions for you, Laura:
    1) I had heard previously that you're supposed to grind flax before using, but can our teeth do that? I always hoped chewing was sufficient to bring out the oils. My kids like to eat spoonfulls of the seeds as a "protein choice" for their meals when they get to choose what they eat - does that do anything for them? I like to sprinkle them on my oatmeal and add them to my crazy bran muffins, too. Am I just wasting my efforts if they're not ground?
    2) Do they lose something if you grind them in a batch and use as you need or do you need to (or is it best to) grind them fresh each time?
    3) Are they ruined if roasted? I like the roasted seeds from Trader Joes but again, am I just wasting my efforts?
    4) I do like them in my smoothies. That's not a question, just a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth.
    I want to stress that I am not a nutrionist or dietician. My info is just a result of research. 1) Our teeth do not adequately grind flax seed. To get the nutrition of flax, you have to grind them. Most people do this in a coffee grinder. If you eat 1 tbsp of flax seeds each day, double that amount for ground flax seed. 2) As soon as you grind flax seed a break down of nutrients happens. However, you can store ground flax seed for up to 90 days in the fridge and still get most of the nutrition. Honestly though, most health experts grind them a little bit at a time. 3) I could find no expert who objected to roasting the seeds. But you still need to grind the roasted seeds. A few non-experts like myself argued that since flax oil is not heat stable, roasting and baking with them is not effective nutritionally. However, every nutritionist or health expert I read recommended adding them to muffins, etc. so I question the validity of this idea. After all my research I think if you want to maximize the benefits of flax, grind the seeds regularly and add to that smoothie or even just a glass of milk. This is what I plan to start doing. Thanks for your questions, I love the challenge of finding the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put some groung flax meal in the pumpkin muffin recipe you gave me. Andrew loves them!

    need brain power!

    ReplyDelete