Monday, April 13, 2009

Salts


In my cooking and baking adventures, I've noticed that food artists with a bend toward natural and organic also have a bend toward kosher salt and/or sea salt. Other than the size of the crystals, I wasn't sure what the differences were. I found a good explanation on the Food Network web site and thought I'd share, in case you too were curious. The site fails to mention that table salt is the only salt that is generally fortified with iodine, a necessary mineral for our bodies. And in general, most of us get all of our iodine from salt. Here's the link.

Meanwhile, I am researching high fructose corn syrup. Stay tuned. It's coming.

5 comments:

  1. that's funny - i just bought kosher salt yesterday for a new way of bread baking that i'm going to try

    i use sea salt that does contain iodine
    where i can buy it you can either get it iodine free or with iodine

    if you use it for nasal irrigation you want it without iodine

    also fyi the current issue of prevention magazine has a HFCS article that tries to present both "sides" of the issue. of course they say that neither side is really right but has an agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo HFCS! I'll stay tuned for that one. Casey eats corn syrup on his pancakes- gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes but thats not "high fructos" corn syrup! And casey is a very smart guy with great tastes in syrup....
    tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, I'm a friend of Kara's, Tracey, Steph....MOPS gals. (you might know my mom as the church secretary at IBC) I grew up in Saginaw.
    Anyway, I so appreciate this blog!! I have used several of your recipes and have passed many of them on to my friend with Celiac's disease and can't eat Gluten.
    I just thought you should know I"m reading and that I'm not just a blog stalker :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Pam! I know about you. I hear your name all the time. My friend Pam... Pam said...all good things of course. I am glad you like the blog. And because I am obsessed with Karina's Kitchen and her recipes, tell your friends to check out her post today for orange cream cupcakes. Who knew such beautiful yummy things could be made without wheat or dairy? Can't wait to meet you sometime.

    ReplyDelete