Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Essential pantry

I read this article by Mark Bittman in the NY Times. The comments afterward ranged from right-on to you are a food snob, irrelevant to today's busy moms. I won't follow all of his suggestions but I admire some of his practices. I want to eat better and I know that takes work and money. Some of his suggestions though are practical, some not so much. Personally, I am going to try buy fewer canned beans. I have a big freezer. It is cheaper to cook the beans and freeze them and the health benefits are huge (you control the salt!). And tomato paste in a tube. I can't count the number of times I have a have used can of paste sitting around, eventually to be thrown away due to mold. What do you do this leftover paste? Then again, the tubes are pricey and the last time I bought one, it went bad in my refridgerator. As for the green tubes of parmesan? We will keep them around, my husband loves the stuff. Prefers it in fact. What do you think of Bittman's suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Some good suggestions ... I knew it was expensive to buy the canned oils - but $12 a pint? I haven't bought them in a few months but I guess I haven't talked to Ryan about not getting them at all. He keeps asking where it is ...

    Can't say I'll start doing the fresh lemons, though. The juice is so cheap at Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about that powdered butter. I think it taste okay. I shook some in my soup and mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and the tom paste thing freeze it! I freeze it flat in a ziplock and then you can just brake off as you need a piece.

    ReplyDelete