Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bob's Red Mill GF bread mix


I'm due to write a post about beans and I have a great new recipe to share, but that can wait until later in the week.


In an effort to save money, I didn't buy a case of gluten-free bread from the coop this month. I've been trying to bake it instead. Oh, those gluten-free breads are fickle. If you under cook them, even a tiny bit, they sink. And you can't depend on them to turn brown at the right time--some of the gluten free breads never to brown. This week I tried a mix from Bob's Red Mill. It looked promising though the price of the mix is about equal to the price of a loaf so I won't be buying it again. I didn't cook the bread long enough and it sunk. It was delicious warm from the oven with butter and now tastes just ok, a bit rubbery and strange. I bet its the bean flours they used. I just don't like bean flour in my baked goods. The bread did rise like a champ which made me sing for a short time. From all my reading I think if I really want to bake my own gluten free bread, I need a bread machine. But then, in the long run, maybe the case of dependable rice flour bread is as cost effective as I'm gonna get.

2 comments:

  1. I have a bread machine that I am willing to lend you. It is nothing fancy. I don't use it that often so I won't miss it if you want it for a week or so. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Let me do a bit of research Jackie. I am not sure all bread machines can do gluten-free recipes. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete