Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cartwheels at Walmart

Ok, not really. But I thought about it. They've been remodeling our Walmart and it looks really nice. The kitchen area is on low shelving so you can survey the whole area and the grocery section has expanded, more foods, including (drum roll please) a gluten-free section. They carry some of my favorite products like Lundberg Rice Chips and Tinkyada noodles. And their prices? Well, they are awesome.

Sometimes I envy those who have enough money to boycott Walmart.There are many good reasons to boycott Walmart. I wish they were more generous to their employess and to the community. But here are the facts at my house. One income, because that's what we have chosen to live on. Even if I worked a job with a salary, my income would not go toward daily expenses like groceries. We just think it is wise to live off one income. And given that my husband is a teacher, not a doctor or lawyer, our one income isn't huge. When Walmart offers me better prices than my food co-op or any other stores on expensive necessities for my girl, like Rice Milk (yes they carry it in many sizes) or gluten free noodles, deciding to boycott Walmart is a luxury I don't feel I have.

Oops, that was a long tangent. I meant to just say, "Yippee! Walmart has gluten-free." And make a little note about how funny it is that when stores get a gluten-free section, they don't educate their employees. I always tell the checkout people how happy I am about new gluten-free products. In fact I tell any employee I can find. Unless I stumble on a manager of some kind, the employee generally stares at me and says, "Huh" or "Newton -free?" One step at a time I guess.

Oh and in case you are wondering...next up...agave nectar.Take the poll on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Which Walmart do you go to? I feel the same way about not being able to boycot Walmart when being on a tight budget. I like when the cashier asks if I have found everything I was looking for, when I say "no", she ignores my answer or says she can't help me find the item.

    ReplyDelete