Monday, September 21, 2009

Garden Soup

At the end of last week,  as I took the girls to the bus we could all see our breath. Not realizing the omen before them, they delighted in the designs they made. But it made me think of soup. September has been a wonderful month (rain-less) but more sun than I ever remember in this part of Michigan--day after glorious day. My heirloom tomatoes which are the size of both my palms might actually make it to the red stage if I keep covering them at night as we slip into the low 40s.

But for a couple more weeks there will be produce to use, and I know a soup recipe to deal with both the chill and the produce. This recipe is one of my favorites. It tastes fantastic, can be adjusted to fit your favorite veggies, and you feel healthy eating it.

Follow this link to Diabetic Living to get the original recipe. This soup can be endless varied. Before you make the soup, note that I use Tinkyada brown rice noodles and Kitchen Basics Chicken broth ( I like Imagine brand too but it's pricier) to make the soup gluten-free. I rarely have leeks so I add more green onions and to make this a meal, I add garbanzo beans, rinsed black beans, or lentils and serve with some kind of dinner roll or crackers. Then when the simmering is all done, sit before your bowl and breath in the health. Happy eating.

4 comments:

  1. Does Kitchen Basics have MSG in it? I use a brand that doesn't but I can't say the taste is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes in the heading photo are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel Ray stock is MSG and Gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, I've tried five times to reply to you comments and it never works. Kitchen Basics does not have MSG, all the ingredients will be famililar to you. I provided a link to Kitchen Basics where you can check out the ingredients in the post above. I'm glad you liked the tomato picture. The cherry tomatoes were awesome this year.

    ReplyDelete