Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gluten-free Pancakes for Emily

About a year after my youngest daughter (then 2) went on her gluten-, dairy-, egg-, soy-, peanut-, almond-, kidney bean- free diet, I had my 31st birthday. And if you don't read regularly, you should know that I am a diabetic. And usually, the challenge of finding celebration menus that everyone can eat is frustrating.

My friend Sarah rescued me that first overwhelming year of the allergies. She offered to make my birthday meal. She picked my brain, my pantry, and my recipe box until she had the makings for a celebration. She'd never cooked gluten-free, dairy-free, or any of our other frees but she used xantham gum, rice milk powder, and sorghum flour like a pro. She made a low carb, gluten-free meal (not an easy thing) that included homemade bread. The finale included a sugar-free cheesecake and a chocolate gluten-free cake (yes two desserts!)

I don't remember specifically how things tasted but it was good.  Having a friend who was so willing to walk with me through a relatively new lifestyle was revitalizing. It still ranks as one of the best gifts ever.

I learned when my first daughter was born about the blessing of a delivered home cook meal. But, now, now that cooking for my family confuses the most experienced cook, anytime someone feeds us, I feel nourished in my soul because I know what an effort it is. What a blessing.

After we moved away from  Sarah, she discovered her dear little Emily couldn't eat gluten or dairy either. Serving my family made the adjustment a bit less daunting I hope. But now, Sarah has asked for the pancake recipe I found. The least I can do is oblige. Thank you Sarah.

These pancakes spread joy in my kitchen. Anytime gluten-free baking produces a cake that isn't flat and browns perfectly, there is cause for rejoicing. I even cut up the strawberries and got out whip cream for these little cakes the first time I made them. These were my first gf pancakes I didn't need to apologize for. I now keep a big tupperware of this mix, for breakfast I scoop out about 1 1/2 cups, add the wet ingredients and beautiful golden cakes are served for breakfast. Click here for the original recipe from All Recipes (how did people eat gf before the Internet?). Below is the recipe with my changes.

I used the millet flour to add a bit of fiber and protein to these carb heavy cakes and the rice milk powder (which I love anyway) to make these dairy and casein free. I'm not a fan of many sugar substitutes though so I just used sugar. A little experimentation and I am sure you could use honey or agave nectar too. The original recipes says the this makes 10 servings. But really it means, 10 pancakes; no one eats just one pancake. And at the end, when we you are breathelessly doing the final mix, pour the water a bit at a time. Flours absorb humidity and so sometimes you need more than two cups, sometimes less. Add until perfect (you can omit the water and rice milk powder and just use rice milk--but for some reason I love the rice milk powder more).
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup millet flour
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
1/3 cup potato starch
2-3 teaspoons of sugar
4 tablespoons rice milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
2 eggs (I've skipped the eggs and they came out great..but add more liquid)
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups water

Happy Breakfast Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment