Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Things We Love



People are always curious about how we eat. I have to watch the carbs. Kassy has to watch the gluten and the dairy. But rice milk, hemp milk, and gluten-free baked goods are generally higher in carbs than their counterparts consumed by those who can ignore ingredient lists. So I thought I would start a feature post--where I highlight some product that we love. I swear I am not getting paid, but I will accept any free cases of food you would like to send my way!

Today's product is for me, a diabetic. It's Nature's Path Flax Plus with Fig frozen waffles. This product is a favorite at my food co-op. Two waffles have only 22 g of carbs, including 4g of fiber, and 190 calories. That leaves room for a little juice in my carb count or a pinches of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top or cut up strawberries and whip cream. There's also 4 g of protein. Finally, there's  a bit of calcium and some iron in these great toaster waffles. Oh and for those who want to know, these waffles are vegan. The values of the Nature's Path company are admirable too.Currently you can buy these waffles at health food stores or Kroeger.

Now let's compare. Two freezer waffles from Aldi have 28g of carbs, less than 1 g of fiber, and 210 calories with vitamins thrown in for good measure. And just to be upfront, I have both kinds of waffles in my freezer. I tend to be selfish and save the Nature's Path waffle me. A waffle morning at our house brings out three waffles: I eat Nature's Path, my oldest eats Aldi's and my youngest eats Vans Apple Cinnamon gluten-free waffles. Vans is another great company.

Really, if you eat frozen waffles that are multigrain with some fiber, and avoid the syrup (try apple butter...mmmmm), waffles can be a great breakfast for a diabetic. We sometimes make them into sandwiches--either nut butter and banana sandwiches or egg sandwiches. While making your own waffles is probably the best since you can use whole grain flours, add ground flax, etc., sometimes a healthy convenience food is nice to have around.

How do you like to eat waffles? Do you always make them from scratch and how do you keep them healthy?

2 comments:

  1. Everyone in my house likes pancakes more than waffles. I grew up on waffles made with bisquick. I guess I just got my mind blown realizing that I could make whole wheat flaw seed good for me waffles.......and freeze them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new picture at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete